Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Interesting History

I don't know why but I've in in kind of an archaic mood as of late, at least as far as my reading habits go. I recently picked up Michael Crichton's Timeline. Not a bad book, some of the science is hard to follow, but an interesting look at the Middle Ages. When I think of the 1300-1400's I think the Dark Ages, not an age of invention and creativity. We all tend to focus on the negatives of that time, such as the Black Death and events like the Spanish Inquisition. Mr. Crichton's book gives an interesting and alternative look at what may have been.

I also picked up a copy of The Name Of The Rose. I've never read this book before, although I have seen the movie adaption with Sean Connery and Christian Slater. It's a very interesting story involving a murder mystery at a 14th century monestary. I really haven't been able to read a lot due to a heavy work load lately, but I was very excited to see this book and couldn't resist picking it up.

The Middle Ages isn't the only period in history that intrigues me. I am also fasinated with World War II and the events leading and following that world changing even. Being in the line of work that I am, having a healthy knowledge of military history can only help. Now, it's time for me to return to the present and, shortly, go to sleep. I have work in about 6 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment